Sunday, July 28, 2019

The Adventures of a Shitty Webmaster

As you may know, I have a website. That website is my pride and joy in terms of my programming skills. As you can tell, I have terrible programming skills. However, that does not mean I will settle for something not working(or even half-working.) When my website was shut down temporarily because of pornographic content being posted on my forums, I was pissed to discover that a few things on my website no longer worked after being restored. Specifically, my logo would no longer work and my index.css no longer wanted to update. This was all on my end, so naturally it wouldn't have affected others, but non-the-less I wanted it working for me too. Here's the example of my problems prior to me fixing them.

Now, as you can see, my navigation bar is fucked up on the #nav .inactive elements and my logo was failing to load. This wouldn't do in my eyes, however, so I began to work on index.css first. (This is a 521 "connection timed out" error on the logo.png, I'll explain how I fixed that.) It was a simple padding error, I had forgotten to include the padding on #nav .inactive, so I added the padding. However... Upon clicking save and reloading the website, I discovered it did not update. Taking a look at the site's index.css revealed that for whatever reason, the saved css file was not wanting to update on my website. However, when I asked someone else to visit my website, they gave me this image.
At first, I thought "meh, it works on their end", but the longer I looked at my index page, and the logo not loading on the rest of my website, the more I became PISSED at it. This wouldn't do, what was this garbage anyways!? So, I enlisted the help of my dad, who had yet another computer to test this one(surprise, it wasn't working on there either, so it had something to do with my internet), and I began to implement comments and lines of code on both the index.css and the index.html, of which, only index.html was updating at all. Eventually, I tried this. I copied the entirety of the index.css and put it into a file named copyin.css. That worked. This was after I tried renaming the index.css to copyin.css which did not work. So yay! I now have a functional website on the navbar! Apply that page to the logo with logofix.png and bam, everything is finally as it should be. And it looks beautiful.

Mini update that I might as well include here:A close friend of mine by the name of TEHLEROY has decided to join my efforts to make a small community blog here, and thus I've added a lot of stuff related to them. Welcome them when they finally make a post!



Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home